Thursday, January 8, 2009

nerd report.

My life straddles two worlds: The technical and the artistic. The first consists of hard facts and numbers, a constant puzzle of information that seems to lead me to the second world. The more artistic world is where I want to be…it is where I want to live but I’m coming to realize that that I need that puzzle of information to allow me to exist there. This is an interesting relationship, I’ve really only discovered the connection recently—perhaps only just today. The two have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. When we got our first VCR, I set it up. I was seven. I’d never really used a VCR. It just made sense; I found it to be an intuitive invention. In fourth grade I realized how powerful my words could be when I wrote an essay for a Veterans Day contest and won. Of course it took many more years, heart ache and loss of innocence to really understand my love of words. These events made me look back and recognize where it all began. I was so innocent. These things happened in my life and rather than knowing or understanding what they said about, how they shaped me, it simply was and I continued with the day to day.

Today was the day I realized the connection between the two the technical and artistic. My focus has moved between them fluidly, but as if they were strangers on a sidewalk each going the opposite direction. Only at one moment are they side by side. They are on parallel paths but seemingly run opposite directions. For the past six months I have gained a deeper appreciation for art in my life. I’ve entered a conversation with my art and I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ve enjoyed the process more then ever before. I’ve recognized the importance.

Today as I stood in the convention hall of the consumer electronics show talking about the technical aspects of cameras and photography with each curious passerby, I realized that I need one to support the other. My love of the technical isn't running in the opposite direction of my art. In fact the two are arm-in-arm. In my mind there was an epic struggle between the two and they would never be able to co exist. Really, the struggle was just another road block to stop my own creativity. Ahhh, the old you are your own worst enemy factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment