Monday, November 17, 2008

cabin project

This is a project that I started working on over labor day when I was at "the cabin." My parents bought the small, no frills, cabin on Petit Lake when I was six or seven. I've been thinking a lot about how this place bolstered my imagination, built my connection to my family, created a love of the mountains and water...pretty significant place. Recently, my parents were discussing the idea of selling the cabin. This created a slight panic in me...not that I would loose it, but more that I wouldn't have a chance to really photograph this place. I've thought about it for years, the cabin project has loomed in my mind, but the idea of losing it lit a fire under my ass, so to speak. In this series and there are many, many more photos of both the inside and outside of the cabin, I was trying take photos of things that are very unique to the cabin and its character...most of the stuff came with the cabin. I was trying to capture the essence of the cabin but include the softening of images/memory that happens over time. I was really trying to photograph the things that were significant to me as a child...as and adult...very fun. My project will eventually include words and my ultimate goal is to turn it into a book...handmade, blurb, pikto...haven't figured that part out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment